Monday, September 21, 2009

Challenge #4

I've been on Facebook since last year. I had received invites from several students, but it took the invitations of two of my sisters-in-law to actually get me to join. (I should also admit that Farmtown was another of my motivations.)
One thing that I have particularly enjoyed about FB is that I am now "friends" with members of my high school graduating class that I haven't seen (or spoken to) in many, many years. These voices from the past have been a lot of fun.
I DO accept invites from students, and it has been a mixed bag. There is a lot of teen-age angst, but I am gaining insight with each day's posts. (I decided early on that what happens on FB does not enter the doors of LHS. My only exception would be if I learned that a student presented a threat to himself/herself or others. I have seen no posts that indicate abuse or neglect, at which time my role as mandated reporter would, of course, kick-in.)
As a result of my student "friends," I am very careful with my posts. The most controversial of my posts was the following link -- which drew very little response...


http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/20/annoying.facebook.updaters/

As senior class advisor, I have created a Facebook group for the senior officers/representatives, and it has simplified communication about meeting, duties, etc.

I joined Twitter last April when the competition between CNN and Ashton Kutcher was in full swing. I have concluded that Twitter is not enething that I am interested in at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment